In this video, I used a hair dryer to blow air over the surface of a container filled with water and food coloring. In the first part of the video, I put the hair dryer on low speed and gradually put the air flow over the container. This lets us see the wind-driven surface waves that form (Hertzberg). Then I sped up the video to the second part where I switched the hair dryer to high speed and saw the difference in wave formation.
6 Comments. Leave new
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Flow Vis Guidebook
- Introduction to the Guidebook
- Overview 1: Phenomena. Why Does It Look Like That?
- Overview 2: Visualization Techniques
- Overview 3: Lighting
- Overview 4 - Photography A: Composition and Studio Workflow
- Overview 4 - Photography B: Cameras
- Overview 4 - Photography C: Lenses - Focal Length
- Overview 4 - Photography C: Lenses - Aperture and DOF
- Overview 4: Photography D: Exposure
- Overview 4 - Photography E - Resolution
- Overview 5 - Post-Processing
- Clouds 1: Names
- Clouds 2: Why Are There Clouds? Lift Mechanism 1: Instability
- Clouds 3: Skew - T and Instability
- Clouds 4: Clouds in Unstable Atmosphere
- Clouds 5: Lift Mechanism 2 - Orographics
- Boundary Techniques - Introduction
- Dye Techniques 1 - Do Not Disturb
- Dye Techniques 2 - High Visibility
- Dye Techniques 3 - Light Emitting Fluids
- Photons, Wavelength and Color
- Refractive Index Techniques
- Art and Science
- TOC and Zotpress test
Cool video, interesting way to get the fluid flow and the colors work well
Creating waves with a hairdryer is a very creative idea. Nicely done, Megan. I like the very bright highlights on the waves.
Really love the contrast between the bright red and the pitch black background. Very elegant.
This video balances aesthetic with scientific usefulness very well.
Awesome videos, I like how you gave background on how the waves were formed, the waves were moving radially outwards which is super appealing! Great job Megan!
I really like how the background noise is just the hairdryer and no music is added which makes the video more impactful.