Water Tornado-Ryan Walker Get Wet 2016
Close up of a vortex created by stirring a glass of water
Close up of a vortex created by stirring a glass of water
Flow Vis Guidebook
- Introduction to the Guidebook
- Overview 1: Phenomena. Why Does It Look Like That?
- Overview 2: Visualization Techniques
- Overview 3: Lighting
- Overview 4 - Photography A: Composition and Studio Workflow
- Overview 4 - Photography B: Cameras
- Overview 4 - Photography C: Lenses - Focal Length
- Overview 4 - Photography C: Lenses - Aperture and DOF
- Overview 4: Photography D: Exposure
- Overview 4 - Photography E - Resolution
- Overview 5 - Post-Processing
- Clouds 1: Names
- Clouds 2: Why Are There Clouds? Lift Mechanism 1: Instability
- Clouds 3: Skew - T and Instability
- Clouds 4: Clouds in Unstable Atmosphere
- Clouds 5: Lift Mechanism 2 - Orographics
- Boundary Techniques - Introduction
- Dye Techniques 1 - Do Not Disturb
- Dye Techniques 2 - High Visibility
- Dye Techniques 3 - Light Emitting Fluids
- Photons, Wavelength and Color
- Refractive Index Techniques
- Art and Science
- TOC and Zotpress test
The lighting in the water tornado is a great example of using lighting to provide contrast. The tornado is also in the dead center of the focus.
The particle tracking is a cool effect around the vortex. The pattern under the glass is distracting. The natural lighting of the image gives a welcoming feeling.
The particle tracking is very interesting to see. I like the warm feeling of the image. The light reflected on the jar is a little distracting from the vortex.
The lighting in this photo is really nice. The flow is really nicely shown, good photographic technique.
Nice streak photography. I imagine it took some experimenting with your camera settings to get enough long shutter effect to show motion but not so much as to turn the photo into an indecipherable blur. The background effectively isolates the subject and I don’t find the table top too distracting. Good warm colors and the gold streaks really are interesting looking. If I were to make one suggestion it would be to cover the windows in the room with a blanket or cardboard in the future to help eliminate some of the reflections and control where the light is coming from.
Fantastic job capturing this image! I remember trying to take a similar picture once before and I was unable to capture one anything like this. I also like the color and texture of the table and background from the light source. Normally I would try to Photoshop the window reflection out but I actually like the parallel lines of light with the parallel tracks in the water tornado.
Nice black backdrop, provides good contrast for the tornado. However, in the future you might want to find something else to lay it on as the carpet is a little distracting. Well done lighting, it illuminates the tornado very well.
1. This image is fascinating and exudes lots of artistic energy.
2. The photo clearly illustrates the fluid phenomena.
3. The photographic technique is excellent and I like the colors and highlights.
Awesome photo. Love the amber colors and the streaks that go across the photo. Very good focus and cropping. I really like the color again. Great photo.
The lighting and saturation highlight the bubbles and streaks in the water. The flow seems easily reproducible. There seems to be reflection on the sides of the glass which could possibly be cleaned up with additional editing.
I appreciate the streaks of the flow, really shows the motion of the vortex. I also really like the warm colors of the image. I also like the sharp focus on the edge of the mason jar
I really like this picture, the vortex is really clear and the particles can be seen clearly. The colors go really well, even the top of the table color all goes together really well.
– I like the lighting of the whole image with the black background. The bottom of the glass can be a little distracting from the lighting but other than that great image. I like how you can see the individual particles and great capture of the vortex.
-I like the warm colors visible in the vortex
-Very cool visualization of particle tracking
-Nice background, good contrast range
Art: The color contrast between the fluid mixing and the background is beautiful.
Flow: The flow is understandable and easily recognized.
Photographic technique: The focus on the water moving is absolutely amazing.
1. I love the streaks created by the bobbles
2.The Jar and reflections are a bit distracting
3. The the gold color is nice
Art: I love the vibrent yellow contrasting with the black.
Flow: The turbulent flow from the top to the bottom difference in beautiful
Photography: Wonderful lighting. maybe make the glass the center of the image.
Good color with a nice dark background makes the flow the focal point of the image. Flow is easy to understand and can be recreated.
The yellow color is super pleasant and lends some drama to the photo. The photo tracking is pretty interesting as well, the slower shutter speed that reveals the motion is a nice though. If the tabletop was black I think it would be less distracting
I like the way the little bubbles around the vortex give it the feeling of movement within the photo. Nice job on the focus of the photo.
I had been trying to capture a similar shot and wasn’t able to get a good shot, but I like how your lighting provides good color and highlights the small bubbles whirling around the tornado. There is an obvious reflection of a window on the left glass to keep in mind for trying to block out in future attempts
The vortex in this image is clearly visible, and it provides an amazing aesthetic appeal. I think it would look really cool if you try to darken the other attributes of the image and increase the vibrancy of the gold fluid flow paths.
Art: The high saturation gives a warm look to the picture.
Flow: Flow is easily recreated and seen often in a common setting.
Photography: Faster shutter speed might’ve given a clearer picture of the vortex.
– I like the lighting effect on this image, it adds a warm “home” feeling to the image.
– The flow is understandable and can be reproduced with household items.
– Would perhaps crop more of the frame so left space on the side is more even with the right.