We were motivated to work with colors again for this project; it kind of turned into a theme for us this semester. I made this image with Summer.
We mixed equal parts painter’s pigment and baking powder with alcohol into a paint, and painted little pictures with it. We painted on 4x4in square cards of plain drawing paper. We didn’t paint pictures of anything in particular, just blobs of color next to and on top of each other; we were trying to create a lot of color boundaries because we assumed that that’s where the most interesting flow interaction would take place. After painting, we let the cards dry completely in the sun (to speed up the process). Once dry, we poured vinegar onto the paintings. The result, which we expected, were bubbling paintings that came to life. This experiment was really a variation on what happens in elementary school classrooms across the country every year: when you mix and acid (vinegar) with a base (baking powder, of which baking soda is the main component), carbon dioxide bubbles are produced.
This image was taken from about six inches away, with the camera flush on the table. We were right next to a window, so lighting is natural. The fact that we were using white poster board as a backdrop really helped. The focal length of the lens was 20mm; aperture f / 8.0; shutter speed 1/125sec; ISO 2000. In post I cropped it and messed with the colors a bit, mostly the purples and blues.
I wish the focus of this image was different; I think if I were to do it again I would put a tripod above the painting so that the lens was perpendicular to the flow, and try to capture it that way. Additionally, I think I would paint the painting differently, so that there’s even more color boundary interaction. This is another exciting exploration of color, and it was really fun to create this phenomenon with paint – felt like a very creative, very off-the-cuff process.