This image was taken of a golf ball suspended in a stream of compressed air and water vapor. The high velocity airstream flowing around the sphere generates a pressure differential which holds the sphere suspended. Water vapor was added to the airstream to allow the flow around the sphere to be visible.
Flow Vis Guidebook
- Introduction to the Guidebook
- Overview 1: Phenomena. Why Does It Look Like That?
- Overview 2: Visualization Techniques
- Overview 3: Lighting
- Overview 4 - Photography A: Composition and Studio Workflow
- Overview 4 - Photography B: Cameras
- Overview 4 - Photography C: Lenses - Focal Length
- Overview 4 - Photography C: Lenses - Aperture and DOF
- Overview 4: Photography D: Exposure
- Overview 4 - Photography E - Resolution
- Overview 5 - Post-Processing
- Clouds 1: Names
- Clouds 2: Why Are There Clouds? Lift Mechanism 1: Instability
- Clouds 3: Skew - T and Instability
- Clouds 4: Clouds in Unstable Atmosphere
- Clouds 5: Lift Mechanism 2 - Orographics
- Boundary Techniques - Introduction
- Dye Techniques 1 - Do Not Disturb
- Dye Techniques 2 - High Visibility
- Dye Techniques 3 - Light Emitting Fluids
- Photons, Wavelength and Color
- Refractive Index Techniques
- Art and Science
- TOC and Zotpress test
This image is really simple but it is really cool! I like that you used a black golf ball that blends a little in to the background but also stands out.
This is extremely fascinating. I do like the other iteration of the image where the image was more clear.
This is a really cool photo. It is really nice how well the water reveals the flow around the golf ball. You can see the boundary layer on the bottom of the ball and the wake above it.
This is a really cool image! Great job capturing this!
Awesome image, Alex! I agree with the choice of painting the ball black. The focus you were able to get in the image is great, too. Nice work!
I love you image overall. However, I would suggest creating more contrast between the water and the background.
This is such an interesting experiment! I love that you can see the high-velocity air/vapor flow around the golf ball. Visually, I enjoy the monochromatic choice you made
This looks so cool! This is such a mysterious and spooky photo. Great capture, this is amazing.