Daniel Bateman – Clouds First: Clouds in Tubulence over Longs Peak

Daniel Bateman – Clouds First: Clouds in Tubulence over Longs Peak

High Winds over the summit of Longs Peak on 9/18/2016 cause a turbulent wake to form over the east face. Air from the west drops below its vapor pressure and condenses briefly into clouds which advect with the flow. Video is played back in real time. (Music: Antifreeze by Steel City Sunrise)

Full moon illuminates Cumulus clouds in unstable atmosphere, Boulder, CO, September 16th, 2016 at 9:41 PM
Sierra Castillo, Clouds First: Cumulus clouds hanging on mountain in a stable atmosphere

• Michael Lloyd
    October 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Camera is rather shaky which distracts from some of the cloud, but cool wispy clouds flowing over the peak, and I like the framing next to the rock.

• Schuyler Vandersluis
    October 24, 2016 12:49 pm

This is an awesome time-lapse! I really like the motion of the clouds, and the lighting is good!

• Marcus Gurule
    October 16, 2016 8:34 pm

I really like this video. You can get a sense of how the wind is moving at the top of the mountain by the way that the clouds are moving. Great work!

• Katherine Yarnell
    October 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Really cool video, clear and stable footage. Interesting movement of clouds very cool.

• Branden Goldenberg
    October 11, 2016 2:30 pm

The video rather than a still photograph was a great choice. A still photo wouldn’t have done any justice to this phenomena. Great video! Its almost hard to believe it was happening that fast!

• Sierra Castillo
    October 10, 2016 11:27 am

Very cool perspective, climbing is awesome. The only criticism I have is the camera shake is a little distracting. I can’t believe that this is real time; gives interesting insight to the nature of clouds on mountains.

• Alexander Thompson
    October 9, 2016 11:52 pm

Great video capturing the wispy clouds at (relatively) low elevation. Also, great music choice to support the motion of the flow. It is very cool that you were able to start the video without any clouds over the mountains, then you followed them out as they came over Longs Peak.

• Joseph Straccia
    October 9, 2016 11:18 am

Really nice video. I love being able to see the turbulent mixing from such a close perspective and it is also really cool that your location reveals something that we don’t usually get to see from the ground. I appreciate that the video starts with a view of the route you’re climbing because it sets the scene for the audience and puts them there on the rock face.

• The speed of the clouds was quite impressive. Seems like the winds must have been very intense. I appreciate the precariousness of the position.

• 1. Wow- very cool. The video is totally appropriate for the type of clouds (which are extraordinarily interesting), and the music is great.
    2. The flow is extremely well demonstrated.
    3. The technique is fantastic.

• Stephanie Mora
    October 7, 2016 12:49 pm

Really cool video! The music goes perfectly with the video. The drumroll in the beginning really amps it up. I’d forget I was looking at the sky and it would look like I was looking down into a pool with liquids flowing around. Crazy that that’s real time! Only critique would be there seemed to be a little C shaped thing on your lense that was a little distracting. Overall super cool.

• Beautiful ! I love the turbulent vortices! The only issue was the shaky video. I like the music

• Peter Brunsgaard
    October 7, 2016 12:49 pm

This is an incredible display of clouds forming and different fronts interact with each other.

• Sean Harrison
    October 7, 2016 12:49 pm

Nice video but a bit shaky. Cool to see the turbulent flows in motion like that. Interesting choice of music for the video but I think it works, however in the future you may want to just cut out all of the audio from the original feed.

• Zachary Cymanski
    October 7, 2016 12:48 pm

I really like you can see the flow of the winds by looking directly up as they swirl in and out.

• Really cool spot for a photo, clouds are so detailed and moving pretty quickly!

• Michael Waterhouse
    October 7, 2016 12:48 pm

Cool how thin the cloud is. Gives great texture and detail. Very interesting flow. I like the angle with part of the mountain in the foreground.

• Harrison Lien
    October 7, 2016 12:48 pm

cool representation of the cloud formation. The rock structure in the foreground is a nice touch. What a cool opportunity for capturing a cloud! The time lapse is an excellent representation of the fluid flow.

• Awesome dynamics here. A little shaky though, I wish you used a tripod.

• Theo Petrides
    October 7, 2016 12:47 pm

– Great detail in the video.
    – There is a small little artifact in the video looks like a little u-shape not sure what that was.
    – Might be worth having to keep the camera little more still.
    – I really like how wispy the clouds look it reminds me of cotton candy!

• Art: The color contrast between the Clouds and the sky is great.
    Flow: The flow is quickly understandable and easily recognized.
    Photographic technique: The focus of the clouds is great. The camera shaking is a little distracting.

• Interesting and beautiful flow of the clouds at the peak. The flow is clearly demonstrated and the contrast of the image is great. However, the music is a little too fast for the video.

• Maxfield Scrimgeour
    October 7, 2016 12:46 pm

cool looking wispy clouds. i like how you panned with the clouds to follow them as the moved along the sky. The rock gives some perspective to the video as well.

• Alexander Rosenberry
    October 7, 2016 12:46 pm

Hard to believe that is at full speed, and that close! They almost seem like ‘mini clouds’. Fun choice of music as well. The circular elements of the clouds are particularly pleasing.

• Joseph Straccia
    October 5, 2016 4:08 pm

That is really cool. I wonder if that qualifies as a rotor cloud (see t=1:10).