Get Wet – Michael Johnson

Get Wet – Michael Johnson

GetWet_Report_Johnson_MichaelImageAssessmentForm_GetWetGetWet_Report_Johnson_Michael

A bubble of water held on a watch face by surface tension.

Get Wet_Chi Liu
Joe Zahorik- Get Wet 2018

• I like the aesthetics of the symmetrical watch. I couldn’t tell what fluid phenomenon was being depicted. I thought it was smoke coming off of an alarm clock that is laying flat. I didn’t see the water on the watch, it looked like glass. Maybe if you pass wind over it and get some irregularity in the surface, it would make the flow intent more visible.

• This brings me back to a mid 20th-century feel, I think the subject choice is cool and unique. I like the decision to use black and white, I think this make’s the contrast in the image/subject pop really well!

• Michael Guenther
    February 12, 2018 11:41 am

Nice aesthetic, the black silver and white work well together. It would be interesting to play with the angle of the shot and if possible I would crop out the wristband

• Daniel Petrykowski
    February 10, 2018 2:47 pm

I like the black and white, but can’t see the bubble.

• Michael Sandoval
    February 9, 2018 11:49 am

The framing of the image works well. Also, the refraction in the water is interesting. Did you consider adding color to the water or something to increase surface tension?

• Yousef Shashtari
    February 9, 2018 11:49 am

Nice lighting and focus! It’s so cool how the water is formed like a lens ! At the beginning I thought it would be better to take a picture from the side, but when you explained your idea I was then convinced.

• Kim Youngwoong
    February 9, 2018 11:48 am

I like the symmetric image with an watch. I also like that the water is located at the middle of symmetric image

• Lucas Sorensen
    February 9, 2018 11:48 am

Great contrast between the background and the subject, excellent framing, water is a little difficult to see.

• The water on the lens magnifies the time and the overall symmetry adds a cool effect.

• I really like the colors with the white, black, and silver. It is a bit difficult to actually see the water on top of the watch face, but it is cool to see the watch face itself.

• Very unique picture with great focus. Maybe more clear picture of what is going on would be better.

• Galen Melchert
    February 9, 2018 11:48 am

Nice composition. I’ve seen curved watch lenses that do the same thing. Super cool to see it done with water.

• Cropping closer to the watch would be more effective in showing what is happening in the image. However, focus is perfect and contrast as well.

• I really like the composition and symmetry, and the b/w serves it well. The surface tension effects are interesting, I’d like to see it more clearly! All in all a very nice shot. Focus and exposure are nice as well.

• Good display of the surface tension properties. The colors are simple and help you focus in on what you want to capture, yet using a different background or band sleeve would aid in the overall appearance of the image.

• Sulaiman Alduaij
    February 9, 2018 11:47 am

I think this is very interesting and creative. Have you considered coloring the water to show the fluid more clearly? At first I was having trouble realizing where the fluid is in the picture.

• The contrast of the white and black colors look really cool. You also have some great symmetry in this photo with the center of the watch placed right in the middle. The lighting was done really well and overall good picture.

• I like the setup and post processing effects. Maybe zoom in or find a better angle where the effect is more exposed?

• It is a really smooth image and I like the color composition. However I can’t really see the flow of water on the watch without really looking at it because it seems like an elevated watch face. Overall it is a really smooth and clean image and I find it very appealing.

• Gabriel McGann
    February 9, 2018 11:47 am

Very impressive display of surface tension and refraction. Artistically, an excellent piece .

• Madison Emmett
    February 9, 2018 11:47 am

I like the simplicity of the image. The symmetry is really well done. I also like how the water affect the watch surface. The water as a lens is really cool.
    In the future, I think some crisper focus on the water/watch face would be good.

• FEISAL ALENEZI
    February 9, 2018 11:47 am

This is a cool picture and the idea is great. The focus is good too.

• Great job with the composition of symmetry in the image and the focus.

• Cool display of surface tension and nice setup. I think you could clean this up even more by removing the white specs or whatever that is on floor of the setup.

• Cyron Completo
    February 9, 2018 11:47 am

The image illustrates the phenomenon of fluid adhesion. I like how the image is in grayscale in order to emphasize the form of the image, and the fluid on top of the watch serves to magnify the top of the watch.

• The focus, lighting, and contrast in this photo is really good. It is difficult at first glance to determine what the flow is supposed to be. I like the subtlety but maybe try adding more water to make the flow more obvious?

• Art
    The symmetry works great! I like the vibe of this picture.
    Flow
    What flow physics did you want to capture here?
    Photographic Technique:
    Nicely done. I like the reflections and background.

• I like the simplicity of the watch and the black background. If you could have changed the angle slightly to see the liquid better, it would have made the image that much better.

• I like the black and white color contrast and the symmetric image. It is sad the water isn’t super clear in the image.

• I can’t really understand the flow here, it looks pretty still. The black watch band and the black background were a little much for me personally because I would have loved to see more contrast. Did you use a black white scale for this photo?

• Abigail Rastatter
    February 9, 2018 11:47 am

Good choice going black & white. In order to keep both the watch face and the water in the image, I think you need to get way closer.

• I like the contrast in the image, and the symmetry and illumination draw the eye to the center of the image. But it is a bit difficult to be able to see that there is a bubble of water on the face of the watch.

• I would recommend uploading a better quality image. The image shown in class is excellent. The coloring is a bit dark, but interesting nonetheless. The lens effect from the water droplet is apparent.

• Philip Nystrom
    February 9, 2018 11:47 am

Nice black background, good job isolating the watch. Picture is in focus and good contrast. not so sure about the fluid flow, but it looks cool how it defracts.

• Very beautiful picture. The flow is understandable. Focus is good for this picture. Good idea. Symmetry is very good.

• Garrett Wolcott
    February 9, 2018 11:47 am

Interesting idea. The metallic watch surface against the black background is great.

• Gabriel Elbert
    February 9, 2018 11:47 am

Art: The black and white is nice, and artistically, a very nice image
    Flow: I think the highlighting of the flow could be enhanced for next time
    Technique: the technique is overall pretty good, but I would perhaps adjust focus and exposure

• Steven Rothbart
    February 9, 2018 11:47 am

Surface tension is interesting and cool how it pools up around the edges

• Really like the black contrast and lighting above the watch. The symmetry is pleasing and the photo is very simple.

• Jordan Nahabetian
    February 9, 2018 11:46 am

It’s hard to tell where the fluid is. Adding food dye could help bring it out. The aesthetic is beautiful.

• I like the minimal background, it makes the white watch face contrast extremely well with the rest of the image.

• The image is nice and simple. I think it could be taken a little closer to show the details of how the watch and the water interacted

• Stephen Morton
    February 9, 2018 11:46 am

I think it would be easier to tell there is water if you had an angle parallel to the face of the watch. Cool idea though, I like the overall symmetry of the image.

• I wish it was a little more focused! It could also be a little more cropped ! The use of black is great and worked really well for this!