Macro image of soap bubbles reveals bubble interaction and thin film interference

By Alex Rosenberry for Get Wet 2016

Report: get-wet-2016-report

Waterhouse First Cloud 2016
Alex Thompson: First Cloud Image, Fall 2016

• The lighting around the bubbles show great contrast with the dark background. The color almost blends together to make brown which reminds me of coffee. Great focusing as well.

• Branden Goldenberg
    September 25, 2016 2:38 pm

Love the color displayed in the center of the image. The assorted sizes of the bubbles gives it a dynamic feeling. I wish the thin film interference was displayed on more than one bubble.

• Sierra Castillo
    September 23, 2016 10:48 am

The splash of color in the center is very appealing. I like the dark feeling of the image, surrounding a happy little color blob. The focus is really sharp. Well done.

• I like the range of bubble sizes, the focus is really well done. I like the shallow depth of field too. Why such a high shutter speed?

• Joseph Straccia
    September 22, 2016 10:00 am

Nice macro photo. Sounds like you had some interesting challenges related to your equipment. I like the colors on the large bubble in the center. The fact that there is a larger primary bubble to draw the viewers attention makes this photo work. I think a little more dynamic range may have helped this image for me. Although you were unable to easily adjust lens focus you may try moving the camera forwards and backwards a little and taking a series of photos so that you can pick the one that has the focus where you want it. On a loosely related note, if you have ever seen a really close macro photo of something like an insect and the whole thing is in focus that effect was probably achieved with a process called focus stacking. If you get a minute look it up online, it’s a pretty cool macro technique that I’d love to try at some point.

• Alexander Thompson
    September 21, 2016 2:38 pm

This is a stunning image! It would honestly be very difficult to recreate an image as artistic as this one in terms of the perspective and focus. I love how the center of the image is the largest bubble with neon colors on its surface. Then medium-sized bubbles track our attention in towards the large bubble from both sides. Fantastic use of focus and contrast to darken the mood as well. Overall, great job!

• I appreciate how you utilized an extension tube. The extreme macro photography offers a unique view of this flow. I appreciate the small amount of color in the center of the photo

• Schuyler Vandersluis
    September 21, 2016 12:20 pm

I really enjoy the reflection of light in this image, it shows the complicated physics going on

• The focus on the bubbles is good. The color on the bubble draws focus and just seems aesthetic. I like the use of contrast.

• Really cool picture. I love the color on the big bubble. The other smaller bubbles surrounding really draw your eyes to the center. Really clear picture considering your ISO!

• Art: The color contrast between the bubbles and the background isn’t drastic but the dark colors with the color splash in the middle is great.
    Flow: The flow is understandable and easily recognized.
    Photographic technique: The focus on such small bubbles is incredible.

• – This is one of my favorite photos Alex, definitely worthy of a desktop background.
    – I really like the dark feel to this photo, and the little reflection in the middle bubble it adds a cool effect.
    – I never would have guessed this was on your Iphone

• 1. Love the color on the one bobble
    2. The focussing is great
    3. contrast of light and dark is cool

• This photo is really cool. I really like the bubbles. Again the field of view is super cool. Very very small. Brings focus to the center of the photo.

• 1. The image is artistically very good with great depth of composition.
    2. The physics are clearly revealed.
    3. The photographic technique is excellent – especially the colored highlight.

• Maxfield Scrimgeour
    September 21, 2016 12:13 pm

I like the abstract feel of this photo. The beading of the bleach on the surface makes it feel like a boulder field on the side of a mountain. Cool with the added color even if it was unintentional.

• -Great dark colors, really like the nit of colors in the large drop
    -Cool visualization of droplets holding themselves together and separate
    -Fantastic contrast range, dark background looks great

• Art: Great use of lighting on the photo. The cute little splash of color is super fun.
    Flow: Film interference was a very cool touch.
    Photography: Wonderful use of manual focusing the photo. YOU ARE AN INCREDIBLE ARTIST!

• Michael Waterhouse
    September 21, 2016 12:12 pm

I like the colorful glare on the middle bubble. The bubbles are in good detail. I like the texture and feel of the image.

• Great focus on the various sized bubbles. What causes the coloration on the large bubble in the middle? It appears there is an abrupt change in focus towards the back–is it a reflection?